The Advisory Committee on Subnational Governments and Biodiversity (AC SNG) is a permanent structure officially recognized by the CBD through Decision X/22 of COP 10 that aims at bringing the voice of subnational governments to the agenda of the CBD.
To attain that objective, nrg4SD coordinates the actions of the AC SNG and promotes dialogue among its members, the Parties and the Secretariat of the Convention to successfully implement the global biodiversity goals and targets.
As Coordinators of the AC SNG, nrg4SD:
- Represents the AC SNG before the CBD Secretariat and its Parties, as well as in any other subnational, national and international biodiversity forums,
- Advocates for subnational governments leadership on behalf of all members of the AC SNG,
- Maintains the political communication and dialogue between members of the AC SNG to ensure subnational complementary contributions to the efforts developed by the CBD Secretariat and the Parties,
- Promotes leadership and collaboration among the AC SNG members and ensure the fulfillment of the two-year action plans,
- Fosters partnerships with a view to promote subnational actions on the ground responding to the global biodiversity demands, and
- Convenes and chairs the AC SNG meetings.
To date, the AC SNG has shown great leadership not only in its advisory capacity, but also through example. Led by Quebec, the members presented at COP 13 (Cancun, Mexico, 2016) an extensive series of case studies titled “Subnational Governments in Action for Biodiversity” that presents the members contribution to achieving the Aichi Biodiversity Targets in their regions.
Subnational Coalition for Biodiversity Action
The current members of the AC SNG, the regions of Aichi, Andra Pradesh, Auvergne-Rhone-Alpes, Basque Country, Campeche, Catalonia, Fatick, Gangwon, Goias, Gossas, Lombardy, North Rhine Westphalia, Ontario, Palawan, Paraná, Quebec, São Paulo, Sichuan, Wales and Walga have prepared a strong contribution to the Fourteenth meeting of the Conference of the Parties (COP14) to the CBD (Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, 17-29 November 2018) in which they will launch a declaration titled “Subnational Coalition for Biodiversity Action”.
The Subnational Coalition for Biodiversity Action represents the voice of subnational leaders from all over the globe who are fully committed to play their role in the global efforts to halt biodiversity loss, alongside the Parties to the Convention. The document will be open for the endorsement of all subnational leaders willing to share the message and will be presented at the 6th Global Biodiversity Summit of Local and Subnational Governments, that will take place in the sidelines of COP 14, on 23-24 November 2018.
To join the Advisory Committee on Subnational Governments and Biodiversity please contact firstname.lastname@example.org